How can ultrasonics enhance the value of your business?
UIA is the international business forum for users, manufacturers, and researchers of ultrasonics. Our members use acoustic vibrations to improve materials, industrial processes, and medical technology. We call this "powering sound ideas."
Let's work together to power your sound ideas. Contact a member consultant or company through our Forum and Referral Network, learn about ultrasonics with our extensive set of learning materials, or meet industry leaders at our next symposium.
43rd Annual Symposium of the Ultrasonic Industry Association
- DATES: Wednesday 2014 April 23 / Friday 2014 April 25
- VENUE: CSIC, Madrid Spain
- HOTEL: Reservations at a special rate are available for the beautiful Hesperia Emperatriz.
- PROGRAM: Full details in Vibrations.
- CALL FOR PAPERS: closed.
- REGISTRATION: Now open online: REGISTER ONLINE - or - Complete and email our PRINTABLE FORM
- EXHIBITORS AND SPONSORS: We highly appreciate your support. Please complete our UPDATED Exhibit Sponsor Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 42nd Annual Symposium of the Ultrasonic Industry Association
At the 42nd Ultrasonic Industry Association Symposium, manufacturers and users of ultrasonic cleaners and processors had an opportunity to influence forthcoming IEC regulations and measurement standards in the industry.
Dr Bajram Zeqiri (Fellow, National Physical Laboratory, UK) is worldwide convenor for the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) group responsible for developing new measurement standards for High Power Ultrasonic Transducers, including cleaning systems, sonoprocessors and welders.
On Tuesday 23rd April, he organized a technical forum, at which he:
- Introduced IEC's purpose, and discuss its relationship to other standards bodies
- Described the historical and current standards in the area
- Listened to stakeholder interests, insights and innovations, to influence the development of the next generation of measurement standards in this application area, which is moving rapidly into new modalities, such as megasonic cleaning for microelectronics.
This past Spring's symposium featured three invited speakers
Dr. Tony Jun Huang, Pennsylvania State University
"Acoustic Method of Moving Small Particles"
Dr. Alfredo Vazquez Carazo , Micromechatronics Inc.
"Ultrasonic Piezoelectric Transformers for Power Conversion"
Dr. Laura Kloepper, Brown University
"Dynamics of Echolocation in the False Killer Whale"
New NIH Center
The National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) has opened in Bethesda MD USA. Among the immediate applications of ultrasound to the Center's Initiatives are targeted drug delivery via the opening of the blood brain barrier, and plastic welding in the manufacturing of tissue-mimicking chips.
Therapeutic ultrasound in the popular press
Focused ultrasound surgery was named one of Time Magazine's 50 Best Inventions in its November 28, 2011 issue (subscription link), describing "multiple beams of acoustic energy [guided] into a concentrated hot spot deep inside the body to heat and melt away tumors..."
Members in the news
"Sunita Chauhan, winner of the 2010 IEEE Asia Pacific Women in Engineering (WIE) Most Inspiring Engineer of the Year Award, and associate professor, division of mechatronics and design at the school of mechanical and production engineering at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, calls her career 'very enriching and satisfying,' especially when it inspires others." Salim N. The Most Inspiring Engineer of the Year. Women in Engineering Magazine, IEEE. Dec. 2011 5(2) 5-6.
"The UIA has managed to perfectly blend academic and industrial world interests to boost a wonderful discipline wherein a lot still can be done. There is no doubt that the secrets behind all this are the passion, expertise, openness and modesty that older members have managed to transfer to the new ones throughout the years." READ MORE...